Sunday, November 20, 2005

look before u leap... design before u code

I spent past 5 midnights in college, doing my projects... I really screwed one up. There r certain things you learn the hard way. Designing is one such thing. The other is bias.

Bias...hmmm... anyone who talk for me for hour can easily infer that I hate Windows and am in love with Linux. Well that should be pretty normal , infact people do love something and hate others... but for a technologist the sense of objectivity is really important. Windows may be badly designed and Linux might be extraordinarily great but loving or hating them is insanity. It creates a mental block. How did bias ruin my nights??? well i procrastinated abt c# proj and ....

Designing, for me is like girl friend/sex/drama... is always there on books not in my life. But my software modelling and analysis class has really taught me alot. I started designing ... that is like a monkey writing sonnets of shakespere. I was really strugglling with a requirement and that was consuming my whole time ,well past the deadline. The application that i had put up was not even the bare minimum. In my frustation I mailed the prof that I had spaghettised my code... and i dont know what to do... I really needed a B to maintain my scholarship. He agreed to meet me and sort the matter out.

In a really short meeting he said a sentence which changed the dimension of my cosmos. He said The Hardest requirement is not the most important requirement ... I met him at 3 pm... found out that the feature that i wanted to implement could be implemented using a so called cross domain delegate, which ofcourse had a low ROI(return on interest)... so i dumped that part and finished the code by 8 pm.... the same code which was teasing me for the past whole damned week. I think if the lights were switched off, u could have seen a halo of enlightment around me :) ...
(btw he also told me that I can easily aim for A/A-) yayyyy...


PS: I really hate norton AV/IS.... I had removed VX2.look2me trojan/malware/adware.... but its still there on my n/w and norton does not stop it form entering my pc again. They ceratinly designs viruses better than the scanners...

No comments:

Post a Comment